Almond Henry Drake
Last Change: 24 November 2014
Josiah Drake, Jr. (1737 - 1802)
Drake Generation 6 in America
Gay #166 *
2. Birth: 28 July 1737 at Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut.
3. Death: 4 February 1802 at Ashfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts. (ref 82 says 22 Mar 1802)
4. Wife: Chloe Cross/Crane
a. Birth: 11 May 1744.
b. Marriage: 27 November 1760 in Stafford Township, Tolland County, Connecticut.
c. Death: 13 December 1832 at Ashfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts.
d. U.S. Census Records relating to Chloe (Cross/Crane) Drake
1790: Josiah Drake was heading a household in Buckland Township, Hampshire County, Massachusetts. The household also included his wife, Chloe, and a male under age 16, probably their son, Jehiel.
1790: There were also 3 Cross households in the town of Stafford, Tolland County, Connecticut: the Samuel Cross household (1 male over 16, 5 males under 16, and 3 females)(ref 35z); the Stephen Cross household (1 male over 16, 2 males under 16, and 3 females)(ref 35z); and the Noah Cross household (2 males over 16, 4 males under 16, and 4 females)(ref 35ba). In addition, there were 7 other Cross households in Connecticut: John in Tolland County (ref 35bb); and John, Joseph, Nathan, Peter, Reuben, and William in Windham County (refs 35bc, 35bd, 35be, and 35bf), which borders Tolland County to the East, not far from Stafford. There were also a large number of Cross households in Massachusetts, including these in Ashfield, Hampshire County: Ensign Peter (1-0-1)(ref 35bg), John (2-1-4)(ref 35bg), Aaron (2-4-3)(ref 35bg), and Stephen (1-3-4)(ref 35bg) and these in Buckland, Hampshire County: Jeduthum (1-0-2)(ref 35bh), Abel (3-0-1)(ref 35bh), and Joseph (1-2-3).
1820 U.S. Census: No record found.
1830 U.S. Census: Living with her son, Jehiel, and recorded as 80 to 90 years old.
a. Josiah Drake, III: (Gay #330) See generation 7.
b. Hannah Drake (Gay #331)
Born 24 August 1764 at Stafford, Connecticut. Hannah married Enod Smith of Ashfield, Connecticut. He was a Baptist Minister who was born 24 July 1749 and died at age 87.
c. Chloe Drake (Gay #332)
Born 22 July 1769. Married Nathaniel Kellogg of Amherst. Chloe died 29 January 1856.
d. Jehiel Drake (Gay #333)
Born 23 April 1774 at Buckland, Franklin County, Massachusetts. Died at Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts on 12 March 1848, age 72 years, 10 months, 18 days; interred Baptist Cornere Cemetery, Ashfield, Massachusetts. Employed as a farmer. Married Chloe Steel (b. 9 Nov 1777 at Ashfield, Franklin Co., MA, d. 24 Feb 1841, age 64; interred with Jehiel), daughter of Levi and Chloe "Polly" Steel. Member of the Baptist Church at Ashfield, Massachusetts.
1790 U.S. Census: Jehiel was less than 16 years old and living with parents in Buckland, Hampshire County, Massachusetts.
1800 U.S. Census: Head of household in Buckland, Massachusetts. Household included 2 males under 10 years old, 1 male 16 to 26 (Jehiel), 2 females under 10, and 1 female 16 to 26 (Chloe) years old.
1810 U.S. Census: Head of household in Buckland, Hampshire County, Massachusetts. Household included 4 males under 10 years old, 2 males 10 to 16, 1 male 26 to 45, 1 female under 10, 2 females 10 to 16, 1 female 26 to 45, and 1 female over 45 years old.
1820 U.S. Census: Head of household in Buckland, Franklin County, Massachusetts. * Household included 3 males under 10 years old, 3 males 10 to 16, 3 males 16 to 26, 1 male over 45, and 1 female 26 to 45 years old.
* Franklin County must have been formed from the northern part of Hampshire County after the 1810 Census. In 1790 there was no Franklin County. Franklin County still exists today and encompasses both Ashfield and Buckland.
1830 U.S. Census: Head of household in Buckland, Franklin County. Household included 2 males 10 to 15 years old, 2 males 15 to 20, 1 male 60 to 70, 1 female 20 to 30, 1 female 50 to 60, and 1 female (prob. his mother, Chloe) 80 to 90 years old.
1840 U.S. Census: No record found.
Jehiel and Chloe had the following children:
(1. Jehiel Drake, Jr.: (Gay #606) Born 19 May 1795 at Ashfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts. Died 2 October 1875 at Concord, Erie County, Pennsylvania (Gay reported that some people thought he died at Corry, PA). Resided in or near Stockton, New York at one time. Married Anna Mallory (b. 19 Jan 1801 at Buckland, Franklin Co., MA, d. 25 Mar 1876). Jehiel, Jr. and Anna are thought to have died at Corry, Pennsylvania.
1850 US Census: Jehiel was 55 years old and employed as a farmer near Gerry, Chautauqua County, New York. His wife, Anna, was age 49.
Jehiel, Jr. and Anna (Mallory) Drake had the following children:
(a. Franklin “Francis” Drake: (Gay #894) Born 20 January 1827 at Gerry, Chautauqua County, New York. Died 4 May 1899. Married Evelina Eldridge (b. 9 Dec 1826 at Cassadaga, Chautauqua Co., N.Y.), d. 19 Jul 1890 at Wayne Twp, Erie Co., PA).
1850 US Census: Franklin was age 22 and residing with his parents.
Franklin and Evelina (Eldridge) Drake had the following son:
(1) James Leslie Drake: Born 19 May 1866 at Sinclaireville, Chautauqua County, New York. Died at Otis, Hancock County, Maine. Married Clara Mae Lines (b. 18 Feb 1870 at Glyndon, Crawford Co., PA, d. 25 Oct 1939 at Pine Grove, Corry Co., PA) and had three children, all born in Pennsylvania, including:
(a) George Emery Drake: Born 3 December 1896 at Beaverdam, Erie County, Pennsylvania. Died 13 April 1957 at Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara County, California. Married Florance Fay Doane and had the following son:
[1. Winton Ramey Drake: Married (?) and had the following son:
[a. Kelly Drake: In 2008 resided in California. Married (?) and had a son.
(b. Phebe A. Drake: (Gay #895) Born approximately 1831 (age 19 in 1850) in New York State.
(c. Manley Drake: (Gay #896) Born approximately 1833 (age 17 in 1850) in New York State.
(d. Jehiel Drake, III: (Gay #897) Born approximately 1836 (age 14 in 1850) in New York State.
(e. Orlinda Drake: (Gay #898) Born approximately 1838 (age 12 in 1850) in New York State.
(f. Almeda Drake: (Gay #899) Born approximately 1840 (age 10 in 1850) in New York State.
(g. Ransaler Drake: (Gay #900) Born approximately 1848 (age 2 in 1850) in New York State.
(2. Chloe Drake: (Gay #607) Born 2 October 1796. Married Zenas Field, Jr. (b. 22 Sep 1796, d. 1 Feb 1871, age 74), son of Zenas and Sarah (Burroughs) Field of Whately, Massachusetts. Chloe died 29 January 1856. Zenas married (2nd) Cynthia Luce of Groton, (3rd) Sarah Colton, and (4th) a woman with first name Anna. Chloe and Zenas had the following children:
(a. Diadama Field: Born in January 1820. Married in August 1845 to Louis Reniff. Diadama died in September 1847 at Buckland.
(b. Zenas Field, III: Born 27 May 1822 at Buckland. Married in 1842 to Clarissa Damon (Dawson) of Chesterfield, Massachusetts. Zenas died 24 August 1893.
(c. Chloe Field: Born 21 April 1824. Married in August 1845 to Lucius Reniff, twin Brother of Louis Reniff, (a) above. Chloe died in Northampton, Massachusetts.
(d. Lovina Field: Born 1 April 1826 at Buckland. Married (1st) Bers Kent. Married (2nd) Lewis Damon of Chesterfield. Married (3rd) a man named Hull. Lovina died in December 1877.
(e. Lydia Field: Born in 1828. Died young in Northampton.
(f. Sarah Field: Born in 1830 at Northampton. Died age 3 months.
(g. John Lucky Field: Born 22 March 1832 at Northampton. Died in 1850.
(h. Charles Field: Born 1 March 1834 at Northampton. When he was 22 years old he settled in Michigan. Charles married and had 3 children before dying at the battle of Gettysburg during the Civil War.
(i. Lydia Judd Field: Born 24 August 1835 at Northampton. Married 27 April 1857 to Austen Guilford.
(j. David Judd Field: Born 13 September 1837 at Northampton. Married 9 March 1862 to Sarah Damon of Worthington.
(3. Arnold Drake: (Gay #608) Born 24 June 1798. Died before 18 October 1849. Married 25 April 1822 to Lucy Cross (d. before 18 Oct 1849), daughter of Jude Cross. They lived in Ashfield, Massachusetts. Arnold "drowned while washing sheep in the pond, west of the plain" on 25 May 1827, aged 28. Interred in the cemetery near the Baptist Church in Ashfield. He and Lucy had the following children:
(a. Austin Drake: Born 1 March 1824 at Ashfield/Buckland, Massachusetts. Employed as a farmer at Ashfield, Massachusetts. Married (at age 24) 17 November/18 October 1849 to Hassadiah Smith (b. 17 Apr 1830 at Ashfield), daughter of Ziba and Rebecca (Thayer) Smith of Conway, Massachusetts. Austin lived for 25 years in Millers Falls. He died in 1899. Austin and Hassadiah had the following children:
(1) Adelbert Augustin Drake: Born 16 August 1853. Served in the U.S. Navy.
(a) Edward Franklin Drake: Born 3 October 1857. Employed as a traveling salesman and partnered with his father in the coal business.
(b. Arnold Drake, Jr.: Born 29 October 1826. Died (insane) at Northampton on 2 December 1901.
(4. Phebe Drake: (Gay #609) Born 28 March 1800. Married Ezra Shepard (b. 7 Apr 1799), son of Samuel and Rachel (Cobb) Shepard of Stockton, New York. Ezra died 11 September 1828. Phebe died 21 June 1876 at Conneant, Ohio. They had the following children:
(a. Orren Shepard: Born 17 September 1822. Died 27 August 1869.
(b. Milford Shepard: Born 24 February 1824. Married Mary R. Smith. Milford died 11 October 1880.
(c. Ezra Shepard, Jr.: Born 3 May 1829. Died 22 May 1887.
(5. Alvin Drake: (Gay #610) Born 22 December 1801. In 1820 married Lydia Deming, daughter of James and Betsy Deming of Stockton. Lydia was born 8 May 1808 and died 26 April 1872. Alvin died 19 November 1870. They had the following daughter:
(a. Malvina Drake: Born 17 August 1829. Married 13 September 1848 to Edward Law McCullough (b. 25 Dec 1828), son of Alexander and Margarett (Kendall) McCullough. Edward and Malvina had the following son:
(1) Frank Alexander McCullough: Born 17 March 1853.
(6. Diadama Drake: (Gay #611) Born 11 February 1804.
(7. Freeman Drake: (Gay #612) Born 24 March 1806. Married 10 July 1828 to Melinda Matilda Ward (b. 28 Sep 1809, d. 17 Sep 1877 at Elyria, Ohio), daughter of Roswell and Lucy (Mallory) Ward. Freeman died on 21 January 1845 (also seen: d. 29 Dec 1844, age 39 "He left a wife and 6 children.") at Buckland, Massachusetts; interred Baptist Corner Cemetery, Ashfield. He and Melinda had the following children:
(a. Betsy Lyon Drake: (Gay #901) Born 10 January 1831 at Buckland. Married William Corwin. Betsy and William had the following children:
(1) Rose Melinda Corwin: Married Abram Chite (b. 21 Jan 1821), son of John Dow and Christina (DeGrauf) Chite.
(2) Laura Adelle Corwin: Born 2 May 1861. Died 25 January 1862.
(3) Milo Charles Corwin: Born 8 March 1863.
(4) Evelyn Neville Corwin: Born 11 October 1866.
(b. Theron Drake: (Gay #902) Born 19 August 1832. Married Mariette Straight (b. 3 Mar 1840), daughter of Ezekiel and Rhoda (Potter) Straight. Theron and Mariette had the following children:
(1) Adella Emma Drake: Born 4 July 1867.
(2) Frank Alonzo Drake: Born 22 April 1876.
(c. Lewis Ward Drake: (Gay #903) Born 21 October 1835. Married 22 February 1866 to Maria Elizabeth (Simmons) Capen (b. 7 Jul 1834), daughter of Anthony and Eliza (Grace) Simmons. Lewis and Maria had the following children:
(1) Inez Elizabeth Drake: Born 6 February 1869.
(2) Edith Melinda Drake: Born 4 August 1871.
(d. Lucy M. Drake: (Gay #904) Born 2 January 1839. Died 4 December 1856 at Sheffield, Massachusetts, unmarried.
(e. Charles Graves F. Drake: (Gay #905) Born 31 October 1840. Married 6 September 1866 to Agnes Elizabeth Roberts (b. 31 Dec 1845), daughter of Thomas and Lucy Catherine (Bailey) Roberts. Charles and Agnes had the following children:
(1) Elnora Drake: Born 14 July 1868. Died 5 May 1885 at Norwalk, Ohio.
(2) Francis Marion Drake: Twin. Born 12 January 1878.
(3) Edgar Eugene Drake: Twin. Born 12 January 1878.
(4) Leroy Lewis Drake: Born 29 May 1882. Died 8 March 1887.
(f. Julia Ann Drake: (Gay #906) Born 3 November 1844. Died 28 October 1869, unmarried.
(8. Manley/Manly Drake: (Gay #613) Born 10 March 1808; interred Baptist Corner Cemetery, Ashfield, Massachusetts. Married on 21 May 1833 at Whitingham, Vermont to Caroline Cross (b. 7 Jul 1816 at Buckland, d. 25 Mar 1897, age 80), daughter of Jude (b. 1773, d. 1852) and Mary "Molly" (Ware) Cross (b. 1779, d. 1819) of Rowe, Massachusetts (who had 15 children). Manley died 8 July 1873 at Buckland. He and Caroline had the following children:
(a. Alanson W. Drake: (Gay #907) Born 21 February 1835 at Buckland. Married (1st) 5 January 1858 to Lydia Smith (b. 6 Jun 1835), daughter of Ziba and Anna (Holloway) Smith. They divorced. Alanson married (2nd) 7 January 1878 to Ellen C. Warner (d. 28 Jun 1917), daughter of Monroe and Louisa Warner. Ellen was 29 years old at the time of her marriage to Alanson. Alanson died 29 February 1888. He and Lydia had the following children:
(1) Ida Drake: Born 22 April 1861.
(2) Edna Drake: Living in Shelburne Falls in 1888.
(b. Lucina Drake: (Gay #908) Born 16 January 1838. Married 22 October 1857 to Josiah Holloway Smith (b. 24 Mar 1835), son of Ziba and Anna (Holloway) Smith and brother of Lydia, (a) above. Josiah died 4 October 1873. Lucina married (1st) Josiah Holoway/Holloway Smith "Holoway" (b. 1835, d. 1873) on 22 October 1857 at Ashfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts. Lucina married (2nd) Elisha Smith (b. 1836, d. 6 Jan 1886 at Buckland, MA), son of Hoyt Smith (b. 1812, d. 1877) and his 1st wife, Content Dodge (b. 1814, d. 1852), on 25 February 1882 at Buckland, Franklin County. She died 8 December 1920, age 82 years, 10 months.
(c. Lorenzo G. Drake: (Gay #909) Born 25 December 1839. Died 6 September 1863, age 23 years, 8 months, 19 days. Gravestone inscription: "Twas hard to part with one so dear,
Twas hard to see him die,
For him we shed a silent tear,
Each day that passeth by."
(d. Francis Munroe Drake: Born March 1842. Died 28 August 1844, age 2 years, 5 months.
(9. Ashley Drake: (Gay #614) Born May 1810. Married in 1830 to Clarissa Porter (b. 1808 in Rutland, VT, d. 17 Aug 1867 in Mayville, N.Y.). Ashley died on 27 March 1877 at Ellery, New York. He and Clarissa had the following children:
(a. Wesley Drake: (Gay #910) Born 30 September 1831, probably in New York State. In the 1850 U.S. Census he was living with his father in Stockton, Chautauqua County, New York (ref 77). Married Melvina Link (b. 10 Nov 1831), daughter of Philip and Elizabeth (Hank?) Link, on 25 January 1850. Wesley and Melvina had the following children:
(1) Arminta Albina Drake: (Gay #1136) Born 19 February 1852. Married 19 February 1871 to Frank L. Klock (b. 1 Sep 1850), son of Fleason F. and Laura J. (Wicks) Klock of Ellery, Chautauqua County, New York. Arminta died 20 August 1877. She and Frank had 3 children: Henry C. Klock, Lillian E. Klock, and Arden S. Klock.
(2) Eugene Drake: (Gay #1137) Born 18 April 1853. Married 3 July 1878 to Amerette Sophia Rice (b. 17 Jul 1854 at Charlotte, N.Y.), daughter of Amos and Henrietta A. (Nichols) Rice. Eugene and Amerette had 3 children: Alice B. Drake, Nelson A. Drake, and Jessie Drake.
(3) Martha Drake: (Gay #1138) Born 10 June 1856 at Dayton, New York. Married (1st) 17 February 1875 at Charlotte to Casper Charles Bloomfield (b. 17 Feb 1853, d. 2 Aug 1880), son of Richard H. and Ruhamah (Miles) Bloomfield of Vermont. Martha married (2nd) 29 January 1881 at Springboro, Pennsylvania to Isaac W. Pond, Jr., M.D., son of Isaac W. and Maxala (Hollembeck) Pond of Vermont. Martha and Casper Bloomfield had one son:
(a) Wesley R. Bloomfield: Born 7 January 1878.
(4) Philip Ashley Drake: (Gay #1139) Born 30 June 1860. Married 10 April 1888 at Utica, Nebraska to Anna Rose Boon (b. 24 Sep 1866), daughter of John Alpheus and Hannah (Ruckman) Boon. Philip and Anna had the following children:
(a) Julia Geraldine Drake: Born 16 November 1889.
(b) Page O. Drake: Born 8 April 1892.
(c) Phyllis Mildred Drake: Born 23 September 1893.
(d) Eyleda Queeche Drake: Born 1896.
(5) Julia Geraldine Drake: (Gay #1140) Born 19 May 1862. Married a man named Burnham.
(6) Mary Drake: (Gay #1141) Born 17 March 1865. Married a man named Luttle.
(7) Martin Lime Drake: (Gay #1142) Born 25 October 1867.
(b. Isaac Ashley Drake: (Gay #911) Born 22 April 1836 at Stockton, New York. Married (1st) on 9 June 1859 at Ellery, New York to Mary Augusta Worden (b. 9 Sep 1841, d. 31 Dec 1867 at Mayville, N.Y.), daughter of Albert and Clarissa (Denton) Worden. Married (2nd) on 9 June 1868 at Charlotte, New York to Sophronia Elizabeth Torrey, daughter of Harry and Louisa (Maine) Torrey of Chautauqua County, New York. Isaac and Mary had the following children:
(1) Omar Wesley Drake: (Gay #1143) Born 20 May 1861 at Ellery. Married 20 May 1885 at Sinclairville to Elizabeth Shannon.
(2) Deforest Drake: Born 13 June 1862. Died 8 October 1862.
(3) Ada Belle Drake: (Gay #1144) Born 8 June 1864. Married 6 September 1882 at Brandon, Buchanan County, Iowa to Wilbur F. Burke (b. 12 Apr 1861 at Harrison, Benton County, IA), son of Archie Thomas and Ellen (Rozell) Burke of Indiana. Ada and Wilbur had the following children:
(a) Charles Evert Burke: Born 21 September 1883.
(b) Lee Warren Burke: Born 2 May 1887.
(c) Effie May Burke: Born 13 July 1892.
(4) Albert Worden Drake: Born 6 June 1867 at Stockton, New York. Died 28 June 1882 at Charlotte, New York.
Isaac and Sophronia had the following son:
(5) Dexter Merrie Drake: (Gay #1145) Born 8 December 1869 at Mayville, New York. Married 27 November 1890 at Cassadaga, New York to Carrie Louisa Wait (b. 10 Sep 1871 at Stockton), daughter of Adelbert Elisha and Louise Melissa (Baily) Wait of Chautauqua County, New York. Dexter and Carrie had the following daughter:
(a) Ruth Adell Drake: Born 4 September 1894.
(c. Julia D. Drake: (Gay #912) Married Andrew McNett. Died approximately 1880.
(d. Dexter Martin Drake: (Gay #913) Born 23 April 1845. Married 1 September 1869 to Helen Veonetta Kirk (b. 29 Jun 1844 at Sinclairville), daughter of Henry A. and Roxanna M. (Yaw) Kirk. Dexter died in December 1877 at Sinclairville, New York. He and Helen had the following children:
(1) Mattie E. Drake: Born 13 June 1871. Died age 3 months.
(2) Henry C. Drake: Born 26 September 1873 at Maryville, New York. Married 14 October 1896 to Ada F. Tate of Fredonia, New York. Henry was in the newspaper business in Jamestown and Fredonia. During World War I he was the chief clerk on Draft Board #1 of Chautauqua County.
(10. Nelson Drake: (Gay #615) Born 26 July 1816 at Buckland, Massachusetts. Married on 11 July 1838 to Mary Ann Elmer (b. 22 Feb 1814 at Florida, MA, d. 1 Jan 1866), daughter of Daniel and Electra Morgan (Ward) Elmer. Nelson died on 26 May 1897. Nelson and Mary had the following children:
(a. Electra/Electa Juliana Drake: (Gay #914) Born 9/21 May 1839 at Ashfield, Massachusetts. Married 6 May 1866 to William Townsend, Jr. (b. 26 Jul 1836), son of William and Tryphena (Harvey) Townsend of Conway, Massachusetts. Electra was a veteran of the Civil War. He died 26 November 1907.
(b. Brigham Carter Drake: Born 21 June 1846 at Buckland, Massachusetts. Died 20 December 1846, age 6 months, from complications of lung fever.
(c. Merrill Nelson Drake: Born 3 November 1850. Died 13 December 1850.
(11. Dexter Drake: (Gay #616) Born 17 October 1819 at Buckland, Franklin County, Massachusetts. Married on 12 July 1841/2 to Philomela/Philomelia C. Stetson (b. 20/22 May 1824 at Buckland, d. 17 Mar 1914, age 91; interred Taylor Cem., Buckland), daughter of Merritt (b. 15 Dec 1801, d. 31 Jan 1894) and Mary H. (Hook) Stetson (b. 1801, d. 20 Jun 1864). They resided at Buckland. Dexter died 13 June 1875, age 56 at Buckland; interred Buckland Center Cemeter (a.k.a. Taylor Cemetery), Buckland. He and Philomela had the following son:
(a. Charles Knowlton Drake: (Gay #915) Born 17 August 1849. Married 27 March 1872 to Eusebia/Luceba/Luseba Guilford (b. 15 Apr 1850, d. 25 Jan 1898, age 47), daughter of Henry "Harry" and Maria (Bemis) Guilford of Ashfield. Charles and Luseba had the following children:
(1) Luna Lavinia Drake: Born 1 September 1872.
(2) Dexter Charles Drake: Born 20 August 1877.
(3) Unnamed son: Still born 4 May 1874.
6. Biographical notes on Josiah Drake, Jr.:
Josiah Drake, Jr., generation 6 in America, moved to Buckland, Massachusetts from Windsor, Connecticut, where he was born, and from there to Ashfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts, where he was a member of the Baptist Church as early as 1771. In May 1767 he asked to be exempted from taxes because of his support for that ministry.
7. U.S. Census Records:
1790: Josiah was head of a household in Buckland, Hampshire County, Massachusetts. The household also included his wife, Chloe, and a male under age 16, probably their son, Jehiel.
1800: Josiah was the head of a household in Hampshire County, Massachusetts. He and wife, Chloe, were more than 45 years old.
* Note: References throughout are to the numbers assigned to people by Alice M. Gay in The Descendants of John Drake of Windsor Connecticut, published in 1933.
WARNING: This page is a working draft of the results of ongoing research; all information on or linked to this page is subject to change. Do not assume the information displayed here is accurate. No warranties, expressed or implied, are provided for its use or interpretation. Please help us identify inaccurate, incomplete, or inappropriate information by clicking here or e-mailing us at email@example.com.