Eliza A. (Hussey) Froome Pedigree
(Start at generation 3, below.)
Last Change: 23 April 2017
Origin of the surname “Hussey:”
5 John Hussey
4 John Hussey, Jr. (more info)
1. Biographical notes:
Born about 1825 at Bridport, Dorset County, England. Was employed as a hemp dresser (in the rope manufacturing business) at Bridport, Dorset, England.
a. Liza’s parents: John and Mary Ann (Cornick) Gale
b. Liza’s birth: 1826/7 at Bothenhampton, Dorset County, England. Christened there in a church that was later removed for some reason, along with its associated graveyard.
Liza’s death: April 1881 at Bridport, Dorset County, England.
c. Liza married 1st: Reuben Macey (or Robert Mason)
(1. When/where married: 1 June 1848 in the parish church, Bothenhampton, Dorset County, England. Richard and Anne Gale were listed as witnesses on their marriage certificate.
Liza was living alone when her 2nd child, Thirza, was born.
(2. Their child:
(a. John (Macey) Hussey: (photos) Adopted by his stepfather, John Hussey. Was employed as a hemp dresser (in the rope manufacturing business) in Bridport, Dorset, England. Had at least 8 children.
1901 England Census: Of interest, there was a John Hussey, age 51 and employed as a printers compositor, heading a household at 27 Roman Road, Islington, London, England. The household also included his daughter, Florence Hussey, age 26, single, and no profession given; son, John Hussey, age 24, single, and employed as a printers compositor; daughter, Minnie Hussey, age 22, single, and employed as a dress maker; son, Charles Hussey, age 18, single, and employed as an advertising clerk; and daughter, Ada Hussey, age 16, single, and employed as a wig makers assistant. (ED 34, household # 49, piece 176, folio 27, page 7)
d. When/where married: 28 June 1856 in the parish church at Bothenhampton, Dorset County, England. George Foot and Henry G. Hodder were listed as witnesses on their marriage certificate.
e. Other biographical notes on Liza:
(1. As a young girl was employed as a domestic servant.
Born 17 October 1852 (before her parents were married) on South Street, Bridport, Dorset County, England. Birth certificate records her name as Thirza Maria Macey, but she used the surname Hussey until she was married. Died 27 August 1921; interred Adams Rural Cemetery, Adams, Jefferson County, New York (USA).
Thirza was employed before marriage as a domestic servant in Islington, London, where she probably met her husband. Later was a hemp dresser (in the rope manufacturing business) in Bridport, Dorset County, England. Married, as his 2nd wife, William Poole (b. 1856 at Abbotts Ripden, Huntingdonshire, England), son of George and Jane (Phillips) Poole, in January 1878 at Hackney, London. William Poole was employed as a plumber. He had the following son from his 1st marriage to (?):
(1. (?) Poole.
William Poole immigrated to the United States without his family in (?). Thirza, her two daughters, Nellie and Minnie, and perhaps other children followed William to the United States in 1911. Thirza died there and was interred in Adams Rural Cemetery, Adams, Jefferson County, New York.
1901 England Census: William Poole, age 45 (b. Huntingdonshire, England) and employed as a journeyman plumber, was heading a household at 40 Straight's Mouth Street, Greenwich, London, England. The household also included his wife, Thirza Poole, age 48; son, William H. Poole, age 16 and employed as a railroad engine cleaner; daughter, Florence E. Poole, age 14; daughter, Nellie Poole, age 12; son, George A. Poole, age 9; and daughter, Minnie Poole, age 7. (ED 5 (Greenwich North West), St Paul Parish, household schedule 63, piece 536, folio 118, page 10)
William and Thirza (Macey) (Hussey) Poole had the following children:
(2. Thirza Poole #1: Born 1879. Died December 1879.
(3. Thirza Poole #2: Born 1882 in England and always resided there. Married (?) Dicks. Was listed as a reference by her mother during her mother’s immigration to the United States in 1911.
(4. William Henry Poole: Born 1885 in England.
(5. Florence E. Poole: Born 1887 in England.
(6. Nellie Poole: (photos) Born 1889 in England. Immigrated to the United States with her mother, sister (Minnie), and perhaps other siblings in 1911. Married (1st) (?) Hodder and resided at Adams, Jefferson County, New York. Nellie and (?) had the following son:
(a. George Hodder.
After her 1st husband’s death, Nellie married (2nd), as his 2nd wife, Dell Greenley (photos) (b. 1865, d. 1951) a prominent business man in Adams. Dell may have married (1st) Dora G. (?) (photos) (b. 1873, d. 1929) and may have had the following children:
· Frances Greenley: (photos) Born 1887. Died 1971.
· Carroll D. Greenley: (photos) Born 1891. Died 1965.
· Bertha R. Greenley: (photos) Born 1892. Died 1954.
· Avon E. Greenley: (photos) Born 1893. Died 1964.
Born 3 November 1891 at Greenwich, London, England. Died 17 December 1982 at Alton, Hampshire, England from complications of pneumonia, exacerbated by nitral valve disease and congestive heart failure; interred Alton Cemetery. Was employed as a gardener on several large estates, necessitating relatively frequent changes of residence. Because he was married and had a daughter when his mother and siblings immigrated to the United States, Albert decided to not accompany them. Married Bertha Constance Truckle (photos), (b. 27 Jan 1891 at Baldwins Hill, Lingfield, Surrey, d. 28 Apr 1973 at Basingstoke Hospital, Hampshire from complications of bronchial pneumonia; interred Alton Cemetery), daughter of William James and Jane (Groombridge) Truckle), on 11 November 1911 at East Grinstead, Sussex. William James Truckle and Eva Truckle were listed as witnesses on their marriage certificate. Albert and Bertha and had the following children:
(a. Thirza Bertha Poole: (photos) Born 18 November 1912 at East Grinstead, Sussex. Died 21 July 2005; interred Alton Cemetery. Was employed before marriage at Hussey’s the Bakers (photo), a bakery founded in 1911 by George Hussey (perhaps related to Thirza’s ancestors) that by the 1930s was at two locations in Bridport: 91 East Street and 38 West Street. Thirza married, as his 2nd wife, Percy Thomas Butler (b. 18 Feb 1914 at Kingsclere, Berkshire, d. 4 Sep 1976), son of Henry and Felicia Maria (North) Butler. Percy had the following son from his 1st marriage to (?):
(1) Phil Butler: Married Margaret (?); they were divorced.
Percy Thomas and Thirza Bertha (Poole) Butler had the following children:
(2) Michael “Mike” Butler: Born 1946 (registered Jul-Sep 1946 at Alton, Staffordshire; Vol 6b, pg. 107). Married Margaret (?).
(3) Joan Butler: Born 1948 (registered Jul-Sep 1948 at Alton, Hampshire, Buckinghamshire, Isle of Wright; Vol 6b, pg. 118). Married Mick (?).
(4) Shirley Butler: Born 1950 (registered Jul-Sep 1950 at Alton, Hampshire, Buckinghamshire, Isle of Wright; Vol 6b, pg. 92. Married (?) Murton and had the following children:
(a) Clare Murton.
(b) Jason Murton.
(c) Stephanie Murton.
(5) Valerie Butler: Born 1953 (registered Jan-Mar 1953 at Alton, Oxfordshire; Vol 6b, pg. 101. Married Frank (?).
(6) Derek H. G. Butler: Born 1957 (registered Jan-Mar 1957 at Alton, Oxfordshire; Vol 6b, pg 115).
(b. Joan Constance Poole: Born 1923 (registered Jul-Sep at East Grinstead, Hampshire Co., England; Vol 2b, pg. 205). Died 1931 (age 8) from a head injury sustained when she fell from a swing.
(c. Mavis E. Poole: Born 1926 (registered Apr-Jun at East Grinstead, Hampshire Co., England; Vol 2b, pg. 182). Died 2002. (photo)
(8. Minnie Poole: (photos) Born 1894. Immigrated to the United States with her mother, sister (Nellie), and perhaps other siblings in 1911. Married (?) Abbott, a plumber, and resided at Adams, Jefferson County, New York. Minnie and (?) had the following children: (order uncertain)
(a. (?) Abbott: Son.
(b. Irene Abbott: Married (1st) (?). Married (2nd) William “Bill” Rice of Adams, Jefferson County, New York.
(c. (?) Abbott: Daughter.
b. Harry/Henry Hussey:
Born 25 April 1857. Died 7 June 1936 (age 79); funeral Thursday, 11 June. Had major surgery at St. Thomas’s Hospital on 25 May 1927 (age 70) to remove a large, cancerous growth from his bladder, and recovery was slow and very painful. Was significantly overweight. Could not read or write. His brother Fred said of him following his death: “… he was well known and very much respected.” His mother spent her last years in his household. Married (?) (d. about 1926) and had the following children: (order uncertain)
(1. Ada L. Hussey: Married (?) Russell and resided at Langleys Lodge, Oxshott, Surrey, England.
(2. Nellie Hussey: Perhaps took her own life in 1926. According to a 24 September 1926 letter from Ada L. Russell of Langleys Lodge, Oscshott, Surrey, England: “I am writing for Father to tell you painful news. Our poor Nellie found her life too terrible, so you will see by the paper how the end came. We have dreaded it for years, but she has suffered agonies no tongue can tell for eight long years. She has been a terrible worry and anxiety, and of course it hastened poor mother’s death… We can’t blame Nellie for what she did as we know how she suffered, and the Dr. said she could never have got better. So we are really relieved to know the poor girl is resting at last, as she has not known peace of mind for years. She cried continually for mother – it was heart breaking to hear her poor soul. Now father is alone. He doesn’t want to give up his home if he can help it, but he will see how he can manage.”
(3. Several sons.
c. William “Will” Hussey: Apparently died young.
Born 1866 in England. Died 1940 at Adams, Jefferson County, New York; interred there in Adams Rural Cemetery.
1940 US Census: Thomas H. Fowler, age 74 (b. England, naturalized) and widowed, was heading a household at 220 Park Street Road in the Village of Adams, Adams Township, Jefferson County, New York. Thomas had completed the 8th grade. The household also included his daughter, Elizabeth M. Johnson, age 50 (b. NYS), who had completed 1 year of high school; and Thomas' son-in-law, Loren R. Johnson, age 51 (b. NYS) and employed as an electric lineman for a public utility, who had completed 3 years of high school.
Married Thomas “Tom” Fowler (photos) (more info) (b. 1866, d. 24 Jul 1951), who immigrated to the United States with his friend, John George Froome, in 1880. Minnie and her sister, Eliza A. Hussey, had known Tom Fowler and John George Froome in Islington, England before the young men emigrated, and the two young women followed their future husbands to the United States – Eliza in 1882 and Minnie in 1883.
Tom and Minnie (Hussey) Fowler resided the remainder of their lives on outer Park Street in the village of Adams, New York, where Tom worked for bank President Isaac Hunt as a chauffeur, grounds keeper, and household servant. Minnie and Thomas had the following children:
(1. Elizabeth Mae Fowler “Mae”: (photos) (more info) Born 22 July 1889 in New York State. Died 1969. Married Loren Ralph Johnson (photos) (more info) (b. 11 Jan 1889, d. Nov 1974; interred Adams Rural Cem.), son of William and Elizabeth (Palmer) Johnson of Belleville, Ellisburg Township, Jefferson County, New York, on 5 January 1910 at Adams, Adams Township, Jefferson County, New York. No children.
f. Frederick Hussey #1: Apparently died young.
g. Frederick “Fred” Hussey #2: (photos) Born 16 November 1869. Resided his entire life in England. Joined the Royal Navy in 1886 and, apparently, made it a career. Was a pensioner since 16 January 1911. Suffered from sciatica. Married (1st) (?). Married (2nd) E. Bessie (?) (photos), who lost her mother on 8 March 1932 (age 91), and resided at 24 Everton Road, Jeovice, Somerset. Had the following children from one or both of these marriages: (order uncertain)
(1. Lionel Hussey: Oldest son. In 1932 was employed in Somerset County, England.
(2. Youngest son: Was a clerk in the Royal Air Force, and in 1934 was stationed in Arabia.
(3. Daisy Hussey: If a twin, born 8 March 1911. Corresponded with her cousin, Mabel Alice (Froome) Cowen in the United States.
(4. Margaret Hussey: (perhaps) Twin. Born 8 March 1911. (A 13 Mar 1928 ltr from Frederick Hussey’s wife, “B,” thanked Mabel (Froome) Cowen for the photo she sent of, presumably, her daughters, Dorothy and Margaret. This ltr mentioned that one of Mabel’s daughters was named after one of Fred’s twins. Probably Margaret, since she was born 1925, closest to the date of this letter.)
(5. (?) Hussey: Twin. Born 8 March 1911.
Of interest, Bessie Hussey’s mother died 8 March 1932.
3 Eliza A. Hussey:
Born 4 July 1865 at Bridport, Dorset, England. Immigrated to the United States in 1884. Died 28 September 1932. Married John George Froome, generation 3 of the Froome Annex, on 7 October 1886 at Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York.
See Froome Annex for More Info
Some Hussey households in the 1901 England Census:
1. Frederick J. Hussey age 35; b. Bridport, Dorset, England.
Lily Hussey age 33.
Richard Hussey age 12.
Albert J. Hussey age 10.
Francis K. Hussey age 8.
Margaret L. Hussey age 3.
Florence J. Hussey age 1.
2. Francis R. Hussey age 31; railway car man; b. Belliocombe, Dorset, England.
Selina Hussey age 34.
Ethel L. Hussey age 6; b. Bridport, Dorset.
Evelyn D. Hussey age 5.
Cecil F. Hussey age 7 months.
3. John Hussey age 48.
Rose Hussey age 41; b. Bridport, Dorset, England.
Elizabeth (Hussey) Dunham age 16.
Florence Hussey age 14.
Elsie Hussey age 13.
May Hussey age 11.
Margaret Hussey age 7.
Maud Hussey age 5.
Ethel Hussey age 2.
Nellie Dunham age 9 months.
4. Joseph Hussey age 84; b. Bridport, Dorset, England.
Mary Hussey age 56.
5. Daniel Tucker age 44; head.
Hannah Tucker age 25.
Ivor Tucker age 1.
Leslie Tucker age 2 months.
Mary Hussey age 76; mother-in-law.
Edith Giblett age 23.
Alice Sue age 28.
6. Henry Hussey age 50; b. Bridport, Dorset, England.
Thomas H. Hussey age 29; b. Bridport.
7. Alfred Hussey age 45; b. Bridport, Dorset, England.
Alice Hussey age 47.
George Hussey age 21.
8. Henry Hussey age 43; b. Bridport, Dorset, England.
Ellen E. Hussey age 43.
Frederick T. Hussey age 17.
Thomas H. Hussey age 12.
Edward J. Hussey age 11.
9. Emily Hussey age 30; b. Bridport, Dorset, England.
Florie Hussey age 5.
Ronda Hussey age 3 months.
Alice Grant age 28.
10. George Hussey age 27; b. Bridport, Dorset, England.
WARNING: This page is a working draft of the results of ongoing research; all information on or linked to this page is subject to change. Do not assume the information displayed here is accurate. No warranties, expressed or implied, are provided for its use or interpretation. Please help us identify inaccurate, incomplete, or inappropriate information and malfunctioning links by clicking here or e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.