VAN NOY ANNEX
Elizabeth (Van Noy) Biles Pedigree
Jane W. (Van Noy) Biles Pedigree
Catherine L. (Van Noy) Biles Pedigree
(Start at generation 1, below.)
Last Change: 28 November 2014
Origin of the surname “Van Noy:”
7 Cornelius Vernooy
Resided at Vernoy in France.
6 Cornelis Cornelissen Vernooy
Cornelous Corneliseen Vernoy
Note: early settlers of Dutch ancestry often signed their names with the name of their father and the name of the town they were from, or sometimes their trade. The Van meant “from.” So, this is Cornelis, son of Cornelis, from Vernoy.
Cornelius was a French Huguenot who immigrated from Holland to America on 20 January 1664 aboard the sailing ship De Trouw. He had previously fled from the town of Vernoy in France to the palatinate (a state of the old German Empire along the Rhine). In America he settled at Escopus (now Kingston), Ulster County, New York prior to 1665. In 1671 he obtained a patent for lands in Brabant, Ulster County in company with Jacob Burhaus and Jan Osterhout. Of interest: “History of Ulster County,” published 1880 by Peck, page 212 records that “the old VerNoy homestead was across the creek opposite the parsonage of the Reformed Church. It was built in 1731. A portion of the walls constitute a part of the present house. This place has been in the VerNoy family from the earliest settlement, and is now occupied by David VerNoy. The old Joachim Schoomaker house of 1700 was on the knoll near the old burial ground – across the creek from VerNoy.”
Cornelis Vernoy married Annatje/Annetje Cornelis and had the following children:
1. Seletje/Ceclitie/Celitie Vernoy: Baptized 22 March 1665. Before marriage resided at Esopus, New York. Married Abram/Abraham LaMetre/Lamatie of Kingston, New York about 12 June 1682 and had the following children:
a. Cornelius Lamatie: Baptized 1683; witnessed by Cornelius Vernoy
b. Susanna Lamatie: Baptized 12 December 1685; witnessed by Jan LaMetre and Cornelia Vernoy.
c. Johannes Lamatie: Born or baptized 29 January 1688.
2. Cornelia Vernoy: Baptized 3 April 1667 at Kingstown. Married David DuBois (b. Kingstown) and had the following children:
a. Catryn DuBois: Baptized 17 April 1692.
b. Hanna DuBois: Baptized 11 October 1696; witnessed by Matthys du boy and Anna Vernoy.
c. Anna DuBois: Baptized 28 March 1703.
d. Josophat DuBois: Baptized 1706.
3. Cornelis Vernoy: Baptized 5 January 1679. Married Sara ten Broek on 22 November 1702.
4. Johannes/Johannis Vernoy: See generation 5, below.
5. Jacop Vernoy: Baptized 10 February 1684; witnessed by Abram and Seletje/Ceclitie (Vernoy) Lamatie.
6. Child: Baptized 2 January 1687; witnessed by Jan and Annetie Vernoy.
5 Johannes Vernooy
Baptized 24 April 1681. Though there is no mention of a marriage in the Kingston, New York church records and there was no father listed in the 28 June 1724 baptism record, Russell Van Noy said Johannes Vernooy was the father of the following son born in 1724 to Orseltjen/Grseltjen Westbrook (bapt. 6 Nov 1687), daughter of Johannes and Magdelina (Decker/Jans) Westbrook:
1. Benjamin Westbrook Vernooy: See generation 4, below.
Orseltjen Westbrook had married (1st) Johannes Hoornbeck in 1716 and raised the following children born to him: (note that their birth dates overlap with Benjamin’s baptism, which is confusing).
2. Benjamin Hoornbeck: Baptized 1717.
3. Annaatjen Hoornbeck: Baptized 1718.
4. Dirk Hoornbeck: Baptized 1720.
5. Daniel Hoornbeck: Baptized 1726.
6. Jonathan Hoornbeck: Baptized 1730.
7. Abraham Hoornbeck: Apparently a twin. Baptized 1732.
8. Ysaak Hoornbeck: Apparently a twin. Baptized 1732.
Johannes Vernooy resided at Raysester/Rochester, New York when he married (apparently 2nd) Janneken Louu, who was also a resident of Raysester. License dated 26 November 1724. Johannes and Janneken (Louu) Vernooy had the following children:
9. Elisa Vernooy: Baptized 1725.
10. Anna Vernooy: Baptized 1726.
11. Jannelsen Vernooy: Baptized 1728.
12. Zara Vernooy: Baptized 1732 at Raysester.
13. Elizabeth Vernooy: Baptized 1733.
14. Cornelius Vernooy: Baptized 1736.
15. Johannes Vernooy: Baptized 1740.
16. Nathan Vernooy: Baptized 1743.
4 Benjamin Westbrook Van Noy
Born at Wawarssinck/Wamarsink/Kingston in Ulster County, New York. Baptized there in 28/25 June 1724. For reasons that are not clear, Benjamin was brought up by his grandfather, Johannes Westbrook. It was during this period that the spelling of his surname changed to Van Noy. Was dwelling at Nomenack when married. Married Lydia Westfall of Machackemech/Machackmech (now Deer Park), New York/New Jersey on 8 January 1749 (Reverend Johannes Casparus Fryenmoet officiated) and moved to the Minisink country. Benjamin and Lydia had at least the following children: (order uncertain)
1. Petrus Ver Noy: Baptized 25 February 1753 at Minssink. Owned a farm at Montague, New Jersey. Married Hannah Conklin, perhaps daughter of Nicholas and Elizabeth (Van Ditmars) Conklin, and had the following children:
a. Elizabeth Van Noy: Baptized 25 November 1781; witnessed by Nicholas Conklin and Elizabeth Van Ditmars. Perhaps married Francis McCoemac and had the following child:
(1. Sary McCoemac: Born 6 July 1802. Baptized 3 October 1802.
b. Elias Van Noy: Born 23 November 1785. Baptized 8 March 1786, with Reverend John Duryea officiating.
c. Ledia “Lidy” Van Noy: Born 23 February 1788. Baptized 27 April 1788, with Reverend John Duryea officiating. Married James Cole and had the following son:
(1. William Cole: Born 26 August 1807. Baptized 6 November 1808.
d. Mary “Polly” Van Noy: Born 27 August 1790. Baptized 5 September 1790; witnessed by Joseph and Mary (Conklin) Van Noy. Married Joseph Bennet and had the following children:
(1. William Bennet: Born 24 August 1814. Baptized October 1816.
(2. Lydia Bennet: Born 7 October 1816.
(3. James Bennet: Born 12 May 1819. Baptized 9 June 1820.
(4. Burnett Bennet: Born 26 October 1821. Baptized 10 November 1822.
(5. Peter Bennet: Born 20 July 1824.
e. Aaron Van Noy: Born 10 March 1805.
2. Joseph Ver Noy: See generation 3, below.
3. Usselye Ver Noy: Baptized at Minssink on 20 April 1759.
4. Sarah Ver Noy: Baptized at Minssink on 27 July 1761.
Note: a Sarah “Sally” Vernoy married John Van Etten and had the following children:
a. James Van Etten: Born 13 March 1804. Baptized 6 May 1804.
b. Peter Van Etten: Born 7 May 1806. Baptized 13 August 1806.
c. Daniel Van Etten: Born 12 February 1810. Baptized 15 April 1810.
Note: a Sarah Vernoy married Henry Bennet and had the following daughter:
a. Sarah Bennet: Born 19 November 1803.
5. Elizabeth Van Noy: Married Benjamin Van Garden and had the following children:
a. Lydia Garden: Baptized 29 October 1780; witnessed by Benjamin and Lydia (Westfall) Van Noy.
b. Jacobus Garden: Born 25 July 1781. Baptized November 1781.
3 Joseph Van Noy (surname spelling changed on marriage record and gravestone)
1. Biographical notes:
Born 19 June 1757. Baptized 10 January 1757. Died 10 May 1833 (age 76 yrs, 3 months, 11 days); interred Old Machackemeck Burying Ground, East Main Street, Port Jervis, New York (at junction of Routes 6 and 97). Owned a farm at Montague, New Jersey. During the Revolutionary War served as a Private in the 3rd Regiment of Sussex County, New Jersey Militia under the command of Lieutenant Aaron Rose Westbrook; did not receive a pension, but was listed as a witness in the pension report for Aaron Rose Westbrook.
2. Wife: Mary Conklin
Married Joseph Van Noy on 9 July 1784. Perhaps the daughter of Nicholas and Elizabeth (Van Ditmars) Conklin, who, perhaps, also had the following children: (order uncertain)
a. Elias Conklin: Married Seletta Helm and had the following children:
(1. Helena Conklin: Baptized 25 November 1781.
(2. Elizabeth Conklin: Baptized 27 August 1785.
b. William Conklin: Married Elizabeth Brink and had the following children:
(1. Nicholas Conklin: Baptized 16 August 1782; witnessed by Nicholas Conklin and Mary Conklin.
(2. Esther Conklin: Baptized 16 August 1782; witnessed by Nicholas Conklin and Mary Conklin.
c. John Conklin: Married Oseltje Van Noy and had the following daughter:
(1. Jannetje Conklin: Baptized 16 August 1782; witnessed by Joseph Van Noy and Jannetje Van Noy, and, perhaps, Petrus Van Noy and Sartje Van Noy.
3. Children: (order uncertain)
a. Peter Van Noy: See generation 2a, below.
b. Elizabeth “Lizzie” Van Noy: See generation 2b, below.
c. Benjamin Van Noy: Born 29 December 1784. Baptized 1 May 1785; witnessed by grandparents, Benjamin and Lydia (Westfall) Van Noy. Married Hannah Decker and had the following children:
(1. Sarah Van Noy: Born 1 November 1808. Baptized 23 July 1809.
(2. Soevryn Van Noy: Born 30 July 1810. Baptized 10 February 1811.
(3. Elias Van Noy: Born 17 August 1812. Baptized 11 November 1813.
d. Nicholas/Nicolas Van Noy: Married Nancy (?). Is this the Nicholas Van Noy who married Sarah “Sally” Bennet on 1 May 1819 at Montague, Sussex County, New Jersey and had the following children:
(1. Joseph Van Noy: Born 11 December 1819. Baptized 6 February 1820.
(2. Lanche Van Noy: Born 8 January 1823.
e. William Van Noy: Married Esther “Hester” Westfall on 4 December 1819 in Upper Smithfield Township, Pike County, Pennsylvania and had the following children:
(1. Sarah Van Noy: Born 5 February 1822. Baptized 14 April 1822.
(2. George Van Noy: Born 22 May 1824.
f. Rachael/Rachel Van Noy: Married Cornelius Hornbeck on 17 May 1817 and had the following daughter:
(1. Eliza Hornbeck: Born 22 December 1817.
g. John W. Van Noy.
h. Jane Van Noy: Married James VanAuken at Montague, Sussex County, New Jersey.
i. Lanah Van Noy: Is this, perhaps, the Hannah Van Noy who married Samuel Vanauken at Montague, Sussex County, New Jersey on 25 September 1819?
j. Jacob Van Noy: Born 25 July 1808. Baptized 6 November 1808. Married Maria Ayers of Sussex County, New Jersey and moved to Bradford County, Pennsylvania. Jacob and Maria had five children, including:
(1) John Van Noy: Born 14 September 1834.
(2) Jacob R. Van Noy: Born 22 December 1842.
k. Abram Van Noy.
2a Peter Van Noy (photo)
1. Biographical notes:
Born 2/21 August 1788. Referred to as “Peter, Jr.”, probably to distinguish him from his uncle, Peter. Was employed as a tavern keeper at Port Jervis, Orange County, New York.
2. Wife: Maria Westbrook “Mary” (photo)
Born 23 February 1790; daughter of Abraham and Janneke/Jane (Van Aken) Westbrook of English extraction. Baptized “Maria” on 25 April 1790. Died . Married Peter Van Noy on 23 July 1810 (also seen from Russell Van Noy: 23 Dec 1810).
a. William Van Noy: Born 6 October 1811. Baptized 15 February 1812, with Reverend John Duryea officiating.
b. Sally Van Noy: Born 20 December 1813. Baptized 31 July 1814, with Reverend John Duryea officiating. Married Stoddard Dewitt and resided at Montrose, Pennsylvania. Sally and Stoddard had the following son:
(1) Edgar Dewitt: Married (?) and had the following children: (order uncertain)
(a) Grace Dewitt, MD: Employed as a physician. Married (?) Loughran and resided at Wernersville, Pennsylvania.
(b) Daughter: Was employed as a nurse.
(c) Mary Dewitt. Twin. Died before her brother, Guy.
(d) Guy H. Dewitt: (more info) Twin. Born about 1884. Died Saturday, 12 July 1958, age 74; interred Bolles Cemetery, Fairdale, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania. Married Nellie Brink and resided at Fairdale. Guy and his wife had the following children:
(1. Edgar Dewitt: Resided at Fairdale, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania.
(2. Ruth Dewitt: Married (?) Barondeau and resided at Fairdale, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania.
(3. Elsie Dewitt: Married (?) Jones and resided at Fairdale, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania.
(4. Doris Dewitt: Resided at Fairdale, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania.
(5. Grace Dewitt: Married (?) Bailey and resided at Lawsville, Pennsylvania.
c. Jane W. Van Noy: See generation 1, below.
d. Peter Van Noy, Jr.
f. Abraham “Abram” Van Noy: Born 8 May 1821. Died 20 January 1901; interred Port Jervis Cemetery, Port Jervis, New York. Married Hannah Ammermon (sp) (d. 1902) on 27 September 1849 and had four children.
g. Catherine “Kate” “Katie” L. Van Noy: See generation 1, below.
h. Joseph Van Noy: Born 14 November 1826. Baptized 1 April 1827. Married Mary Jane Martin on 8 March 1858. Ancestor of Russell Van Noy.
i. Elizabeth “Lib” Van Noy: Born 14 November 1831. Married Jacob Westfall and had three children.
2b Elizabeth “Lizzie” Van Noy
Born 13/8 October 1807. Died 20 April 1866. Daughter of Joseph Van Noy, generation 3, above. Married James Alexander Biles, fifth child of Alexander Patterson Biles, generation 7 of the Ancestors of John Addison Biles on 8 March 1836.
1 Jane W. Van Noy
Born 9 July 1816. Baptized 13 October 1816, with Reverend John Duryea officiating. Died 8 October 1877. Daughter of Peter Van Noy, generation 2, above. Married Charles Biles, sixth child of Alexander Patterson Biles, generation 7 of the Ancestors of John Addison Biles on 24 April 1838.
1 Catherine “Kate” “Katie” L. Van Noy
Born 10 March 1824/26 at Montague, Sussex County, New Jersey. Daughter of Peter Van Noy, generation 2, above. Baptized 7 September (?). Married (1st) (?) Crawford. Married (2nd) Lewis “Duke” Biles, thirteenth child of Alexander Patterson Biles, generation 7 of the Ancestors of John Addison Biles on 29 January 1850.
Other, still unidentified Van Noy names:
1. David Van Noy: Married Lenah Vanauken on 25 September 1819 at Montague, Sussex County, New Jersey and had the following children:
a. Jacobus Vanauken: Born 31 March 1820.
b. Oliver Vanauken: Born 20 September 1821.
c. Caty Vanautken: Born 22 March 1834.
2. Nicholas Van Noy: Married Sarah “Sally” Bennet on 1 May 1819 at Montague, Sussex County, New Jersey and had the following children:
(1. Joseph Van Noy: Born 11 December 1819. Baptized 6 February 1820.
(2. Lanche Van Noy: Born 8 January 1823.
WARNING: This page is a working draft of the results of ongoing research; all information on or linked to this page is subject to change. Do not assume the information displayed here is accurate. No warranties, expressed or implied, are provided for its use or interpretation. Please help us identify inaccurate, incomplete, or inappropriate information and malfunctioning links by clicking here or e-mailing us at email@example.com.